Monday, February 9, 2015

Avocado Egg Tostada

In an effort to eat healthier, I've been searching for quick healthy recipes to make on Skinnytaste.com (thank you, Andrea), and unlike most healthy-eating-diet-skinny-food-fad websites and blogs, I find that Skinnytaste is the ultimate in appealing healthy foods because the author:

A. Sounds like a person that legitimately loves food
B. Doesn't sound crazy (there's not a lot of fad-talk here, which bugs the crap out of me).
C. Uses ingredients you might already have in your kitchen 
D. Doesn't use the fake versions of foods that don't consitute real food at all (looking at you, egg beaters)

So, in my book, this blog is a winner. 

Long story short, when I went to make this delicious looking Avocado Toast with a Sunny Side Egg  I was very disappointed when, having already mashed avocado and started the egg, I found that the loaf of whole-grain bread that had previously resided in the freezer was MIA. So, I had to revamp this recipe, which was perfectly fine for me, because tostadas (which is what I call any open face stuff-on-a-corn-tortilla-with-cheese) are what's up.

Here's the recipe, which makes a single tostada -- and which by itself is only 279 calories. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 corn tortilla (firm it up by toasted it in the broiler or in a hot pan)
1 oz. avocado (1/4 of a hass avocado)
Salt, pepper, and lime juice to taste
1 large egg
1 tsp. olive oil 
1 tbsp. queso (I used Carlita brand Monterey Jack Salsa Con Queso)
Handful of grape tomatoes, or thereabouts

What to do: 
1. Get out all of your ingredients first so that you don't do what I did with the Skinnytaste recipe and then realize I don't have the stuff (classic Hayley move). 

2. Mash the avocado, seasoning with salt and pepper, and a little lime juice to keep it from browning. (Keep the pit - avocado pits naturally prevent browning, so helps preserve leftovers a little better).

3. Heat your egg pan (I used a nonstick) on medium with the olive oil. Let the pan heat all the way up before adding the egg - this makes the egg cook perfectly. I left mine slightly runny. When I flipped the egg, I put the queso on top to let it get warm and runny. While the egg is cooking...

4. Toast the tortilla (I use the broiler - put it in for maybe 2 minutes per side to make it nice and durable).

5. Assemble!  Tortilla on bottom, spread about 1/4 of your avocado onto the top. Set the egg with queso on top, and sprinkle with cut up tomatoes. Pair with a piece of fruit and your morning coffee for a healthy fast breakfast. Nom!


No comments:

Post a Comment